Thursday, January 14, 2010

Things to avoid

One of the things that I have found to be pretty amusing since learning I'm pregnant is the crazy lists of THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO. Go into a sauna. Eat soft cheeses. Have a deli sandwich (which really upset me, I would have thought harder about getting pregnant if I knew I had to give up Jimmy Johns for 9 months). Each of these lists claim that its not trying to perpetuate the fear mongering that pervades nearly every pregnancy and parent-to-be book but when they say things like "we don't really know if gummi bears will or will not affect the baby, but when we fed twenty thousand gummis to one pregnant rat in a 60 second span, things went badly, so you should probably avoid them," I cease to take their advice seriously. Granted, that last example was slightly exaggerated and as far as I know, gummi bears are perfectly safe, but you get the idea.
This, however, is absolutely true: in one of my books, they provide a list of illicit drugs that should be avoided. Crack cocaine is on the list. Heroin is not. Draw your own conclusions.

2 comments:

  1. Oh crap...my mom thought it was herion that's okay and crack that's not. Shit! What now?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I meant heroin, but I'm watching Grey's Anatomy and got distracted. :)

    ReplyDelete